Sunday, March 15, 2009

Shopping Excursion

My friend was at Victoria Secret yesterday buying a swim suit, and I was there along for the ride.  While I was waiting for her to try some suits on I noticed that in the store were some women in the store who were shopping for...well, I'm not really sure, I wasn't really paying attention.  Anyway, the women were wearing jilbabs and hijabs and I immediately thought of this forum.  Here you are in a very "Western" store with "non-Western" clad women.  The contrast seemed pretty stark to me.  I suppose the jilbabs and hijabs are meant to cover the exterior of a woman to "keep her modest", yet nothing, that I know of at least, talks about what they need to wear underneath them.


There's an example of the blending of cultures.  Now, is that good or bad?  I can't really say, unfortunately because I don't really have an indepth knowledge of the Islamic culture.  Maybe someone who does have knowledge on this topic could speak of how this impacts Muslims?

No comments: